Five Journalists Dead in Gaza Hospital Strike, India Reacts Strongly

Five Journalists Killed in Gaza Hospital Attack, India Reacts Strongly

New Delhi: India has strongly condemned the killing of five journalists in Gaza after an Israeli strike hit the Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis, terming the incident “shocking and deeply regrettable.”

Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal on Wednesday said New Delhi remained opposed to civilian casualties in conflict zones and noted that Israeli authorities had already launched an inquiry into the strike.

The killing of journalists is shocking and deeply regrettable. India has always condemned the loss of civilian lives in conflict. We understand Israeli authorities have instituted an investigation,” Jaiswal told reporters.

Journalists Among Dozens Killed

At least 20 people were killed in Monday’s strike, including five journalists: Mariam Abu Dagga (Associated Press freelancer), Mohammed Salama (Al Jazeera), Moaz Abu Taha (Reuters contributor), and Ahmed Abu Aziz (Middle East Eye). A sixth journalist died the same day in a separate attack in Khan Younis.

The World Health Organization (WHO) said four health workers were also among the dead. Gaza’s civil defence alleged the attack was a “double tap strike”—with the first blast hitting a hospital building, and the second striking as rescuers and journalists rushed in. Footage from the scene captured the moment when media personnel were directly hit.

Israel Calls It a “Tragic Mishap”

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu described the incident as a “tragic mishap,” while the Israeli military maintained the strike was aimed at a Hamas-operated camera, not journalists.

The deaths have sparked fresh international outrage over the rising toll on civilians, aid workers, and journalists in the ongoing conflict.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *